By applying the method of production force management, palm oil productivity namely the fresh fruit bunch (FFB) could be increase among 30% to 100% in three years.
It could not be denied that palm oil which is planted in many regions must be the result of the crossing, called hybrid palm oil. The general characteristics of hybrid palm oil are, it may highly produce, 2 – 3 times from the mothers and the age to produce is shorter. Within the Production Force Management method, palm oil production could increase more about 30 – 100% in 3 (three) years after applying it. What is more interesting is that there is no significant cost to apply this method in conventional ways.
The facts showed that palm oil productivity is small in numbers nationally. There are some factors why it happens, such as,
- It is predicted that the people’s plantations were planted by fake seeds which derived from the surroundings in the plantation. Planting fake seeds may happen for they are cheap but this is a loss for the smallholders, the stakeholders, and the country. Besides its productivity is in small numbers, the yield is too (about 17 – 18%). Yet the shell may be thick and hard to be broken or processed. The potential of crude palm oil and palm kernel oil could be about 1,5 – 2 tons per hectare per year.
- Many palm oil plantations may be abandoned or not taken care well for many reasons. But these mostly happen for mismanagement.
- Many productive palm oil plantations have no good nutrition for the managers may not understand about the characteristic of palm oil.
- Many have no good production path (bad infrastructures) which make the transportation of the production difficult for the consideration – improving the infrastructure (way) is a waste.
- Many palm oil plantations are cultivated as it is necessary, the managers (planters) do not rely on the productivity and price as the guidelines.
- Many palm oil plantations are for trade so they are not cultivated well.
- Many smallholders hope the government’s help or the main plantation’ help while the main company thinks that the plasma plantations are burdens.
If the method is applied in every region in Indonesia, the productivity may increase 30% which means, there would be leap of production nationally, or from 38 million tons to be 49 million tons without new plantings. Palm oil could be potential to produce up to 45 tons per hectare per year within the yield up to 28% though the reality showed that the average productivity reaches 15 – 20 tons per hectare per year. The potential CPO and PKO could be about 12 tons but the realization is about 3.5 – 4 tons only. There is much gap.
It needs solution knowing the difference between realization and the potential of palm oil.
The available method to increase palm oil productivity is called Production Force Management that may increase the productivity fast between 30-100 % in 3 years.